Shrimp Tortilla Soup
Yield: For 6-8 people
Shrimp tortilla soup recipe made with shrimp, cilantro, onions, garlic, jalapeños, tomatoes, spices, seafood broth, lime juice and served with queso fresco, tortilla chips, and avocado.
- 2 tbs olive oil or real butter
- 1 ½ cup diced white or yellow onion, about ¾ of a large onion
- 1 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeds removed (or not if you want the wild stuff version), diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, double for wild stuff version
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- 6 organic roma tomatoes, peeled and diced, about 2 cups
- 2-4 cups of seafood stock, adjust based on how thick you prefer the soup
- 2 cups of tomato juice
- 2 lbs medium-sized raw shrimp, deveined and peeled (or you can also leave the shells on according your preference)
- ½ cup lime juice – from 2 large limes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled queso fresco, or grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- Tortilla chips, homemade or store-bought
- Diced or sliced avocado
- Finely chopped cilantro
- Finely chopped green onions
- Fresh jalapeño slices
- Lime slices
- To make the refrito or base for the soup, heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions, green onions, cilantro, jalapeños, crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the seafood stock and tomato juice. Bring to a boil, add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are done (but not overcooked), about 5-8 minutes- more or less depending on the size of the shrimp.
- Add the lime juice and remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately garnished with queso fresco, tortilla chips, diced avocado, chopped cilantro, green onions and lime slices.
Options: Serve over Wild or Brown Rice