VEGAN SPAGHETTI CARBONARA
Smoky marinated cremini mushrooms and peas are tossed with spaghetti in a silky cashew sauce to create this decadently delicious vegan carbonara.
PREP TIME: 35 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
TOTAL TIME:1 hour
Recipe type: Entree
For the Mushroom Bacon
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
For the Spaghetti Carbonara
- 1 lb. dried spaghetti noodles (I like Ancient Harvest)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4-8 hours and drained
- 1 cup unflavored cashew or almond milk
- 2-3 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes, to taste (optional, but adds a really nice flavor)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- cashew Parmesan (optional)
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- kala namak (optional, for eggy flavor)
- Stir soy sauce, maple syrup, cider vinegar, and liquid smoke together in a small bowl. Add sliced mushrooms and toss to coat. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally to recoat.
- While the mushrooms marinate, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook spaghetti according to package directions, until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water, then drain pasta into a colander. Return to pot and toss with a bit of olive oil.
- Place cashews, milk and nutritional yeast flakes into the food processor bowl and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and place over medium heat. When oil is hot, add mushrooms in as even a layer as possible. Allow to cook until browned on bottoms, about 5 minutes. Flip and allow to cook 5 minutes more on opposite sides. Remove mushrooms from skillet and transfer to a plate.
- Add 2 tablespoons more of oil to skillet. When oil is hot, add garlic and cook 2 minutes, until very fragrant. Add spaghetti, cashew mixture, peas, parsley and mushroom bacon to skillet. Toss everything a few times, until noodles are coated and ingredients are well mixed, adding some reserved pasta water to thin the sauce if needed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide onto plates and sprinkle with red pepper flakes, cashew Parmesan and kala namak, if desired. Serve.
Non-Vegan Options: Add Chicken or Seafood
This recipe makes a big batch. I don't recommend scaling down the batch size unless you've got a relatively small blending device for the sauce, otherwise, you might not be able to get it to blend fully.